NEW FLAG FOR THE TWENTY-FOURTH MICHIGAN.
The old flag of the Twenty-fourth Michigan having become too battle torn for duty, the friends of the regiment in Detroit purchased a new one for it, and its presentation to Colonel Morrow for the regiment called forth a large concourse of people on the Campus Martius, on April 27, 1864. … The old flag was cut in pieces and divided up among the men of the Twenty-fourth as mementos.
-- From O.B. Curtis