First Capitol Furnishings At Museum
The original furnishings from the first state Capitol building in Detroit are on long-term display at the Michigan Historical Museum in Lansing.
When Michigan was finally admitted to the Union on Jan. 26, 1837, it already had a state Capitol. The Michigan Territorial Capitol in Detroit had become the seat of state government with the convening of the first state legislature in November 1835.
When the seat of government moved to Lansing in 1847, the furnishings came along. Several pieces were saved when Michigan's third capitol was dedicated in 1879. They are now in the collections of the Michigan Historical Museum.
Among the original capitol furnishings now on exhibit are the podium and matching speaker's chair inherited by the House of Representatives from the unicameral territorial legislature. The large desk in the exhibit was most likely used by both Stevens T. MASON, when he was Territorial Secretary, and by Kintzing PRITCHETTE and his successor Secretaries of State.